Absolutely, the petition must be served upon the father in the state where he resides. A summons will be attached to the petition, which explains that he has a certain period of time by which he must respond. Once he responds, then the court will proceed with the case and determine paternity, time-sharing, child support and any other issue that is indicated in the petition.